Who but God goes up to heaven and comes back down?
Who holds the wind in his fists?
Who wraps up the oceans in his cloak?
Who has created the whole wide world?
What is his name—and his son’s name?
Tell me if you know!
I know! I know! That’s my God!!! He has many names, one for every part of our lives — for every time of need, every hardship, every victory, and every joy.
- Alpha and Omega: “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” (Revelation 22:13)
- Bread of Life: “Jesus replied, I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35)
- Creator: “Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation, for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth. He made the things we can see, and the things we can’t see…” (Colossians 1:15-16)
- Good Shepherd: “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11)
- I Am: “The people said, You aren’t even fifty years old. How can you say you have seen Abraham? Jesus answered, I tell you the truth, before Abraham was even born, I am!” (John 8:57-58)
- Immanuel: “Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means ‘God is with us’).” (Isaiah 7:14)
- King of Kings: “Together they will go to war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will defeat them because he is Lord of all lords and King of all kings. And his called and chosen and faithful ones will be with him.” (Revelation 17:14)
- Lamb of God: “The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, Look! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29)
- Light of the World: “Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.” (John 8:12)
- Lion of Judah: “But one of the twenty-four elders said to me, Stop weeping! Look, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the heir to David’s throne, has won the victory.” (Revelation 5:5)
- Lord of All: “Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2: 9-11)
- Messiah: “But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.” (John 20:31)
- Redeemer: “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and he will stand upon the earth at last.” (Job 19:25)
- Risen Lord: “Christ died for our sins, just as the Scriptures said. 4 He was buried, and he was raised from the dead on the third day, just as the Scriptures said.” (1 Corinthians 15: 3-4)
- Savior: “ The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David!” (Luke 2:11)
- Son of Man: “For the Son of Man came to seek and save those who are lost.” (Luke 19:10)
- Son of The Most High God: “He will be very great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David.” (Luke 1: 32)
- The Resurrection and The Life: “Jesus told her, I am the resurrection and the life.[e] Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.” (John 11: 25)
- The Door: “I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture.” (John 10: 9)
- The Way: “Jesus told him, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)
- The Word: “In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.” (John 1:1)
- Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace: “For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” (Isaiah 9:6)
It doesn’t matter which name you choose to call Him, because He’s the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The power that we wield when we speak His name is not in the name itself…it’s in the all-encompassing character of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit! Without HIM, they would just be words…commonplace titles. Yet at the mention of His name, because of who He is to us, we call upon the character of God Himself. That is what breaks the bondage of sin, crushes the power of death, and forever loosens the grip of darkness!
He is all of that…and SO MUCH MORE!
Prayer: Heavenly Father, Your name is a strong and mighty tower to which I run in times of need. Your name is peace over the storms that come my way. Your name is greater, more beautiful, and more powerful than any other name, and I know that it doesn’t matter which name I choose to say, as long as I am calling on YOU. Amen.